Saturday 29 June 2013

Zucchini Pickles

Even though I only have 3 zucchini plants in the garden, I can see I'd better find lots of ways of dealing with the produce.  I usually only grow 1 plant and get lots from that, but with the 3 tires fronting the squash portion of the Three Sisters Garden, I felt I should put a plant in each one.  If I want to keep my friends, I need to find ways to use the excess myself.

Today I made zucchini pickles.  It was super easy, quick to make and I had all the ingredients on hand. We tasted them an hour after they were made and they were delicious.  I imagine the flavour will only improve with time.  The recipe I found called for halved zucchini (down the length) sliced thinly, but since my zucchini were quite small, I just cut thin rounds.

Zucchini Pickles

4 cups of thinly sliced zucchini
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp sesame oil
2 cloves garlic minced
1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes

Sprinkle the sliced zucchini with the salt and let stand for 15 minutes.  Squeeze out the excess moisture.  Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the zucchini, mixing in well.  I also stirred the mixture up several times.  What with the hot pepper flakes and the minced garlic, these pickles have a bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment