Sunday 16 June 2013

Mid-June Update

I'm delighted with how well everything is growing.  Even the weeds are flourishing - which tells me that the SeaSoil we added has made a big difference.
The beans are over the tops of the poles!
The Three Sisters Garden is charging ahead.  The beans grew so quickly that I had to put in bamboo poles to support them for now.  They've gone over the tops of the poles.  Click on the picture above to get a better look.  The two beans which were planted directly into the ground inside protective collars are the correct height.  From this I've learned that next year I seed the corn in the potting shed, but plant the beans when the corn is 6" high.  The literature I found on Three Sisters Gardening told me this.  Why didn't I believe it?
Abraham Darby - my favorite rose
In February we transplanted a much-loved rose, Abraham Darby.  This is a David Austin rose and as well as being vigorous and beautiful, it's highly scented.  I'm so happy that it's transplanted well and is now coming into flower.
Bonica coming into bloom
Many years ago when my daughter moved back east, she gave me her little Bonica rose.  It's been transplanted at least 3 times and surges back each time.  Its current spot is now permanent and it is also coming into bloom.  A very pretty rose, the literature tells you it's scented, but we haven't noticed much scent.  However, it's very pretty so it stays.
Aphid infestation before and after spraying with water.
A few weeks ago I noticed aphids on one bud.  Aphids multiply rapidly by asexual reproduction and you need to take care of them pronto before they become a real problem. The easiest way to get rid of aphids is to hit them with water spray.  It knocks the aphids off and they can't get back on.  I checked out this bud today and there are still no aphids to be seen.
Snow peas over the top of their fence
We've already had a couple of meals of the snow peas and they are gearing up into high production and will need picking every day.  They are over the top of their zig zag fence, but they can sprawl over the top so I'm not worried.
Little Beth - bottom right - is even flowering
The tomatoes are also doing extremely well.  All are in flower and all the cherry variety have little tomatoes in evidence.  It won't be long!
Cherry Tomatoes - Gold Nugget, Honey Bee and Sweet Baby Girl
The cherry tomatoes in the tires and half barrel are just as advanced as those in the main bed.  The black of the tires absorbs heat.  The tomato between the tires is one given me by a friend.  Unfortunately this pot was all I had available at the time, so I'm not expecting huge production from Honey Bee until I can find something bigger.
And finally, today we poured another 4x4 bed.  This will be the last for this area as there's no more room.  One bed is totally finished, another bed had its floor poured today while we poured the wall of the third.  Each time we pour a new bed we find ways to improve.  This time we added cross bracing so the walls don't bulge in even a little bit.  Makes removing the forms so much easier!  Now we just need soil.  I've noticed that the wood on the Three Sisters Garden is finally giving up.  It has to be over 15 years old now and has certainly served its purpose.  We're thinking we'll make three more 4x4's in place of what is there now.  Each bed will be a little Three Sisters Garden and the squash can meander at will.

I really do prefer to garden in a raised bed.  A little bit of height makes gardening so much easier.  The soil is untouched by human feet and so I can do all the soil turning myself.  Perhaps now that I have so many raised beds I'll be satisfied!  Perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment