Friday 28 June 2013

The corn is as high -

- as my husband's eye!
Three Sisters Garden
The recent spell of cool, wet weather hasn't dampened the enthusiasm of the Three Sisters Garden at all.  The beans have been twining way above the corn and are now looping down to swarm all over it.  This is a big plus because in the past when I grew corn by itself, it would do great and then along would come a big wind and blow the whole thing flat!  The beans will give the bed stability on the framework of the corn.

The squash component isn't exactly sitting around doing nothing either.  We've been picking zucchini for a couple of weeks now.  The other squashes are setting up their vines and are venturing out of the protection of the corn.  I can see that I'll have to direct the vines or we won't be able to get around in this part of the garden at all.

As for the corn, the tassels are starting to poke through.  I can see slight bulges at the sides of the stalks where the ears are going to pop out.  It's the end of June.  I think we're doing fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment