Friday 21 June 2013

Curling Tomato Leaves

A few weeks ago, I noticed that some of the tomato plants had leaves that curled up.  Not all of the tomato plants were affected - mainly Bonny Best and Principe Borghese.  There was a little on Moneymaker and the rest of the plants seemed fine.
Curling Principe Borghese leaves
At first I thought perhaps my plants were lacking in something.  But why did only some of the plants have upward curling leaves?  Why not the others in the same bed?  Research on the Internet told me that it wasn't a lack of nutrients or a symptom of disease, but simply an outcome of the cool weather that we've been experiencing.  I also learned that it wouldn't affect the health of the plant or diminish the crop at all.

After a scorching week in May, our temperatures plummeted again.  This seems to be the direction we're heading in with Earth's movement into global warming.
Older leaves on Bonny Best exhibit the curl
For the past 3 years, some of my onions have been starting to show seed heads.  Each year, more plants seem to be affected.  A question sent to West Coast Seeds elicited the response that it was the cold weather early in the development of the onions (what we're now calling June-uary) that had urged them to go to seed.  Last year half of my onion crop was affected.  It was suggested that I try another variety which would withstand our cool springs a little better, but I really like Copra and so continued to grow it.  I was careful to store only onions which hadn't gone to seed, but surprisingly, while those onions which had gone to seed were smaller, they still  stayed firm a long time.  This year's onions are fine so far, but I'll be watching them closely.

Perhaps we can expect cool springs from now on. And perhaps it's now time to choose varieties which can better withstand cool weather.  I guess it all boils down to how stubborn I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment