Tuesday 11 June 2013

Use Those Garlic Scapes!

When I first started growing garlic, I conscientiously snipped off the garlic scapes so the plant would throw all its energy into making big bulbs.  The scapes were thrown on the compost.  Since then, I've gotten a little bit smarter!  I haven't become terribly creative with scapes, however, and this year I've resolved to do better.  I was also cutting off the top because when I used older scapes, we found them tough.  If you're using young ones, you can use the whole scape.  I chose to leave the tops off mine because when I experimentally chewed on one, I found it a bit chewy.

So far this year, I've used scapes in stir fries and chopped up fine in quinoa tabouli.   A little research has revealed a few recipes for me to try, so here are a couple.
Garlic Scape and Almond Pesto
Garlic Scape and Almond Pesto
12 scapes (mine weighed 8 1/2 ounces much to my surprise!)
1/3 to 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
juice and zest of one lemon
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Put all ingredients in the food processor and puree to the desired smoothness.

Fresh, homemade pesto will keep for about a week in the fridge.  I freeze it in ice cube trays.  Each cube will serve one person mixed with pasta.  I package the cubes in vacuum seal plastic bags - not too many in a bag - and they keep for several months.
It was delicious!
A few uses for pesto:  Mix pesto with cooked pasta, some of the pasta water and crumbled feta cheese for a quick, tasty meal.  It's also great mixed in mayonnaise for a sandwich spread.  Add some when you're making mashed potatoes.  Thin with a little oil or vinegar for a salad dressing.  Goes great on meat or fish.
Hummus and pita
Garlic Scape Hummus
12 garlic scapes
1 can of chick peas, drained
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt to taste
1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil

In a food processor, blend up the scapes, chick peas with the lemon juice.  Then add the olive oil to get the proper consistency.  Season with the salt to taste.  Hummus freezes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment