Wednesday 24 July 2013

Winter Gardening

The garden in winter - from West Coast Seeds Fall/Winter Catalogue
I know it's only July, but it's time to start planning for the winter garden.  This isn't something I've consciously done in the past.  It's been more by accident that I've had carrots, lettuce, kale, etc. through the winter.  This year I plan on doing it "proper"!

West Coast Seeds has an excellent winter planting guide in their Fall/Winter Catalogue.  I think this catalogue is a first for them since it seems interest in providing food for ourselves through the winter months is a recent thing in modern times.  Along with listing plants that are winter hardy in the Pacific Northwest, there are clear instructions on when and how to plant them.  As a long time fan of West Coast Seeds, I can heartily recommend this free online resource.

Another source of winter plants is Saltspring Seeds.  I bought my garlic bulbs from them and from time to time, buy new bulbs to try out.  I've had particularly good results with Northern Quebec, Mountain, Susan Delafield and Porcelain.  When the fall catalogue comes out, I'll probably order something new to try out.

So what am I doing to prepare for the winter garden?

I've ordered more SeaSoil with a friend.  This will be added to the bed where the garlic will be planted in September.  It will also go generously into the new 4x4 beds, one of which will become a little winter garden.

This afternoon I seeded Siberian Kale, Super Gourmet Blend Lettuce, Mescalun Mix, Little Fingers and Bolero Carrots.  As soon as the SeaSoil arrives, I'll be planting a fall crop of Oregon Sugar Pod II Snow Peas.  In these days of skyrocketing prices for fresh produce, it's to our benefit to grow as much as we can.  I started my new adventure in winter gardening today.

No comments:

Post a Comment