Sunday 7 July 2013

Quinoa and Black Bean Salad

I made this quick, easy salad to go with the leftover pork tenderloin my husband barbecued last night.  All the ingredients were at hand although my little store of home grown quinoa is just about depleted now.  One of my Apache scallions was a colorful addition and I only needed 1 in place of the 4 called for in the recipe I adapted - they are enormous!  Cilantro would be a natural in place of the parsley I used, but my husband and I are among the unfortunates with whom cilantro doesn't agree.
Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
3/4 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cup water
2 tsp lemon zest
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sugar
1 can black beans drained and rinsed
2 tomatoes, chopped
4 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped parsley

Cook the quinoa in the water for 20 minutes, then cool.  Mix all ingredients together.  If making ahead, add the tomatoes just before serving.  I removed the seeds and gel from the tomatoes and since my scallion was quite large, chopped it fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment