Saturday 20 July 2013

Concrete 4x4 Beds - Ready to Plant

Getting soil for the new 4x4 beds was going to be a challenge.  We did manage to fill one bed when we dug the trench to take water and power up to the potting shed.  The soil was pretty poor, of course, but to it we added soil taken from one of the beds in production and the last of the SeaSoil.  This bed has been planted with Totem strawberry plants.  These little plants actually came from plants I passed on to a neighbour.  I got rid of the strawberries I was growing at the time because we weren't getting any of the berries.  I had put netting over to keep out the birds, but one morning discovered that the netting had been pulled off and every strawberry was gone!  Raccoons.  I don't know why I'm hopeful that this time I'll succeed, but I have to at least give it a try.

A few days ago our son and grandson came over for a visit.  Our son helped re-arrange an old flowerbed so that we can have some heavy machinery come in to take down the old woodshed.  Since I no longer have flowerbeds - too much to look after - I was happy to have this one made smaller.
Our grandson supervised from the sandpile nearby.  The soil removed from the bed was piled on a tarp and today my husband sifted the soil and put most of it in the remaining 2 concrete beds.  The rest was put in the compost bins.  It doesn't fill the beds, which is just fine as both will need amendments before they can be utilized.  More SeaSoil?  I think so!
In any event, I will now be able to use one of the beds for winter crops and I'm going to seed some winter kale next week with this in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment