Thursday 16 May 2013

Why I Use Remay Cloth

It's amazing how the Three Sisters garden is growing.  Today I had to take the Hot Hats off the zucchini because they were filling the insides of the cloches!  And since it was such a warm afternoon, I pulled back the Remay cloth to check on the plants and give everything a good watering.
A tale of 4 corn seedlings
On one portion of the garden, the Remay cloth is not quite long enough to reach the bottom of the bed. One little corn plant is exposed to the elements.  As you can see in the picture above, it's considerably smaller than its brethren and not as dark a green.  I'm going to keep this little guy out in the cold so I can compare its development to that of the others.

When the weather is hot, corn grows at an amazing rate - you can almost see it growing!  And I was treated to a pleasant surprise - the corn seedling I'd discarded because of a damaged root decided to sink its remaining root into the soil and is almost as big as the rest of the corn!  That's what water, rich soil and protection will do for plants.
The Three Sisters Garden is thriving!
I'm letting the Three Sisters Garden enjoy the sunshine this afternoon, but we're in for some more cloudy, cool weather tomorrow, so I'll cover it all up again.  The squash and zucchini plants will be covered with some old Remay cloth I have in the potting shed.

No comments:

Post a Comment