Sunday 26 May 2013

Applesauce Cake

Tonight my Dad is coming for dinner.  We're having the Chicken with Gremolata Crust (recipe in this blog titled Aconite, Snowdrop - & Chicken!) with rice and a kale salad using fresh kale from the garden.  I always make a dessert when Dad comes, so today I made an applesauce cake.  The recipe comes from my old favourite, the Five Roses, A Guide to Good Cooking with a few changes.  I'm using applesauce made by my daughter and raisins I dehydrated last fall.
The homemade raisins give the applesauce cake a nice tangy bite.  Since my daughter's canned applesauce already contained cinnamon, I toned that down a bit.  Of course I used butter instead of the shortening called for in the recipe.  My daughter, who hates raisins, would probably use chopped walnuts instead.  The cake turned out excellently - moist and flavourful.  Definitely one to make again!

Applesauce Cake

1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup applesauce
1 cup raisins

Leave 1 Tbsp flour to dust the raisins.

Mix all dry ingredients together.

Cream the shortening; gradually add brown sugar and cream well until light and fluffy.  Add egg and beat well.  Add the dry ingredients alternately with the applesauce beating after each addition until smooth.  Fold in the floured raisins.  Bake in a greased and floured 8" square pan at 350 for 40 to 50 minutes.

The recipe goes on to suggest various icing options but I think the cake tastes just fine as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment