Wednesday 8 May 2013

Three Sisters Part 4

Water lines in place and one bed of corn planted
Yesterday the first component of the Three Sisters garden was set into the ground.  Peaches and Cream corn had been started in a block of small pots and since corn sends out long taproots, it must be planted soon after it sprouts.
Corn seedlings waiting to go to their new home
Armed with my trusty plastic knife to pry the seedlings out of their temporary homes, I was ready to plant the corn.  I had started 35 seeds of corn.  34 sprouted and one was damaged while planting, so 33 corn plants were nestled into their new homes and watered well. In the evening, I topped the corn beds with Remay cloth.  This keeps in the warmth while allowing air and moisture through.  Corn started under Remay cloth is half again ahead of corn not so protected.
The squash family - plus some basil
The other components of the Three Sisters garden are doing well in the potting shed.  The butternut squash has been slow to sprout and I'd given up on it when some of the seeds suddenly decided to get down to business.  The zucchini has been up for some time now.  A neighbour is planning on giving me more squash plants and I'm wondering now where on earth I'll plant them!
Beans thrusting up from the potting mix
The beans have also been sprouting.  It looks like I have 16 plants of the Italian heritage beans and at least 5 of the Fortex.  Some of these plants will go to my daughter-in law's new garden.  When the corn is about 6" high, I'll be planting the beans.  At the rate the corn is growing that might be next week!

And now for a couple of non-Three Sisters pictures!
Mexican Orange Blossom (Choisya) frothing around the entrance to the pond
Cherokee Chief Dogwood blooms starting to open.



No comments:

Post a Comment