Sunday 26 May 2013

See How They Grow!

With virtually every nook and cranny planted, gardening becomes plucking out any weeds and watching things grow.  If you click on the pictures, you'll get a better view of how things actually look.
The Three Sisters garden is charging along nicely.  The corn and beans are getting so tall that the Remay cloth soon won't fit.  We have one week left of cooler temperatures and I'll try to keep it on for a few more days, but hopefully the cover won't be needed after that.
The difference between the little corn left out in the cold and the rest of the corn plants is still very obvious.  I'm sure shorty will catch up, but he'll probably take longer to set cobs.  Remay does make a difference.
The snow peas are charging up their fence and the lettuces between the zags are doing well - actually getting away on me!  I moved 3 carrot pots into the space left when the radishes finished.  My first planting of carrot pots are just about ready to be pulled.
And as for the tomatoes, I'll have to start setting up the tomato frame soon.  Even little Beth's Big Fat Tomato (bottom right) is doing well.  I'll be sure to save seed from this one so I can get an earlier start next year.
The bees are busy in the chives and at first I thought I'd actually seen domestic honeybees, but on closer inspection, I don't think they are.  It's been a while since I've seen domestic bees.
Too bad the dullish day doesn't do justice to the pond.  It's looking quite spectacular right now with a vibrant mix of colors and textures.  The idea to build the pond there was the brain child of our dear friend, Beth - of the BBFT Beth.  It was a terrific idea!  The vegetable garden is just above the pond to the right.

We spent most of the day pouring concrete for a new raised bed.  The next post will document our progress.










No comments:

Post a Comment