Tuesday 18 August 2015

Zippy Salsa 2015

The last time I made salsa it was a hit - hot without being too hot and full of flavour.  Since each time I make it, there are slight variations in the ingredients, it seems smart to document exactly what I put in each batch to arrive at the ultimate recipe.
This year nearly all the ingredients are from the garden.  I had to purchase a red and a yellow bell pepper as my Gypsy peppers weren't ripe yet, but other than that small portion, all the fresh ingredients are ours.  To the mild peppers - Anaheim and Poblano, I added a Garden Salsa and a Hungarian Hot Wax as last time I made this, I didn't realize that Garden Salsa were actually hotter than  Jalapeño and the last batch had a LOT of Garden Salsa!  Hungarian Hot Wax are even hotter....

Zippy Salsa 2015

8 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes peeled and seeded - all Health Kick
1 cup Jalapeno peppers seeded, cored and chopped fine.
3 cups mild peppers chopped and seeded
1 cup sweet red pepper chopped and seeded
1 cup sweet yellow pepper chopped and seeded
2 cups chopped onions
1 small bulb garlic minced
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 can tomato paste
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp fresh oregano minced
2 tsp paprika

Wearing rubber gloves for all the peppers, core, seed and chop.

Make a cross on the blossom end of the tomatoes and immerse them in boiling water to loosen the skin.  Seed and chop.

In a large non-aluminum pot (I used my new Maslin pan!) combine all ingredients.  Bring to a boil, stirring often.  Reduce the heat to medium low, simmer, stirring often until thickened enough that a Tbsp dropped onto a plate flows slowly in one stream when the plate is tilted.  Takes about an hour.

Using a funnel and ladle, fill hot pint canning jars leaving 1/2" headspace.  Cover with prepared lids.  Screw on bands until resistance is met; increase to fingertip tight.

Process in boiling water canner for 20 minutes.


1 comment: