Monday 3 August 2015

Pickled Jalapeño Peppers, Carrots and Onions

It's amazing how many peppers 2 Jalapeño plants can produce!  I do have plans for making the Zippy Salsa, but that won't use very many and I needed to find some more things to make with them.  For Christmas, my daughter-in-law and son gave me Alice Waters' book, "The Art of Simple Food II" and in it I found a recipe to pickle jalapeño peppers, carrots and onions.  Since I had so many peppers, I doubled the recipe and still have plenty of peppers to give away!  And lots more on the plants.....
I started by slicing the peppers in 1/4" rounds.  Then I rinsed them under hot water to tone down the heat a little.  Since this is my first time making this recipe and many of my peppers had striations on them indicating they'd be a little hotter, I thought this was a good plan!  The carrots were also cut in 1/4" rounds and the onions were sliced into thin wedges.
The veggies were sautéed with oil and salt.  Then apple cider vinegar, water, sugar and a couple of bay leaves were added and the whole shebang simmered for 10 minutes.
I got 6 half-pint jars and since I had doubled the recipe, they were processed in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Of course I opened one jar - it will sit in the fridge and probably won't be there for long.  The pickles are delicious!

Pickled Jalapeños and Carrots

1/2 pound jalapeños
1/2 pound carrots
1 yellow onion
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp sugar
2 bay leaves

Slice jalapeños and carrots into 1/4" rounds.  To reduce the heat of the jalapeños, rinse them in hot water.  Slice the onions into slender wedges.

Heat a large skillet and pour in the olive oil.  Add the peppers, carrots, onions and salt.  Cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.

Add the vinegar, water, sugar and bay leaves.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.  Pour into a nonreactive bowl and cool before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment