Saturday 11 July 2015

Mis-labeled Peppers - Again!

Last year a friend gave me 2 jalapeño and 2 cayenne pepper plants.  As the plants grew, I could see that a couple of them were mis-labeled.  One jalapeño was clearly cayenne, and a cayenne obviously jalapeño.

This year I started my own seeds.  And of course, now I can't find any record of my purchases!  I was under the impression that I'd bought Jalapeño, Hungarian Wax, Ancho, Anaheim and sweet Gypsy peppers.  I also purchased 2 Garden Salsa plants.  When I gave plants away to friends, I thought I'd given away all of my Anaheim by accident and only wound up with 2 Ancho.

Now all the peppers are growing by leaps and bounds and all have peppers popping out like mad.  I can see that there is mis-labeling again - but this time by me!
Jalapeno
The plants labeled Anaheim are clearly Jalapeño and there are 2 of them.
Hungarian Wax
I got the Hungarian Wax right
Gypsy
The Gypsy plants (4) are also correctly labeled.  They will be anything from yellow to red and are sweet peppers which are growing in pots.
Garden Salsa
The Garden Salsa are right, too, but then I bought them!  They will be red at maturity.
Unknown Pepper 1
Unknown Pepper 2
The plants labeled Jalapeño are obviously 2 different peppers.  It looks like I kept an Ancho after all, but I'm not sure which is which.  One plant is taller and the foliage is darker green.  The peppers on this plant are just starting.  The other plant has a well-developed pepper.  After looking online, I can see that the Anaheim will be a lighter green than the Ancho.  I guess I'll just have to wait and see.  And maybe next year take more care when labelling!

No comments:

Post a Comment