Wednesday 8 July 2015

Confetti Cole Slaw and Garden Update

I make a mean cole slaw - even if I do say so myself!  I apply the "kitchen sink" method - I put in whatever I have on hand, and the more ingredients the better.  Tonight my husband is grilling a steak and baking a couple of our Pacific Russet Potatoes.  A cole slaw is a great addition to the menu.
Ingredients for Confetti Cole Slaw
Tonight's batch will have purchased red and green cabbage, Cripps Pink apple, kohl rabi from jollityFarms and from our garden onion, 3 kinds of kale and carrot.
Veggies prepared
All of the vegetable ingredients  are chopped into pieces except the carrots, which I grate.
Confetti Cole Slaw
The dressing is simple and the amounts vary with the size of the coleslaw.  To salad dressing I add a squirt of liquid honey and drizzle apple cider vinegar to thin the dressing down.  It's all tossed together and put in the fridge until dinner time.  A great addition would be toasted sunflower seeds, but today I didn't have any on hand.

While out in the garden gathering the ingredients, I snapped some pictures to show progress.
Corn, bean arbour, 2 pots of basil and leeks behind them
The corn is growing by leaps and bounds.  In hot weather, you can practically see it grow.  It's now taller than the bean arbor, which has vines snaking all over its top.
Corn silks
The tassels crown the plants now and silks are bursting from the stems where the cobs are forming.  It's hard to believe that the corn was just planted out 7 weeks ago!
Health Kick Tomatoes
We've already had a couple of Gold Nugget and the Health Kick tomatoes are just about big enough to start colouring up.
Yellow onions curing in the sun
Today I pulled up the yellow onions and left them on the surface of the bed to start the curing process.
Butternut squash
In the compost bin, Butternut Squash vines are spilling over the edge.  I placed planks to help them to the ground, but they're ignoring them, choosing instead their own path.


No comments:

Post a Comment