Monday 30 June 2014

Snow Pea Snowstorm!

It's amazing what a zig zag fence about 8' long can produce in the way of snow peas!  Oregon Sugar Pod II is an excellent snow pea.  It doesn't get too tall - it's over the top of the 3' fence now, but won't get much taller - and the sturdy vines bear lots of 4" long sweet, crisp pods.  I know from experience that they freeze well, so we have lots of potential for the winter.
I went out yesterday morning and picked half a basket of pods having previously picked just 2 days before.  I'll need to pick again tomorrow!  It's time to start blanching and freezing snow peas again.  I immerse them in boiling water until they turn bright green.  Then I scoop them into a colander and run cold water over them to stop the cooking process.  They are then frozen in meal-sized portions in small zip lock baggies.

I need to find more ways to serve them - I guess I'm just not imaginative enough!  They're lovely raw in salads and we use them in stir fries and as a steamed vegetable.  Recently I tried out a new recipe with great success and we'll definitely be serving them like that again.  Here's what I did.

Snow Peas and Red Peppers

3 cups of snow peas, topped and tailed, strings removed if necessary
1 small red pepper, cut in thin strips
1 garlic clove, minced fine
1 Tbsp oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar

Stir fry the garlic in the oil until fragrant.  Add the snow peas, peppers and seasonings.  Cook until tender-crisp.  Add the vinegar, toss and serve.  4 portions.

Very simple and delicious!

2 comments:

  1. Just gave Jasmine a bath & herded her outside to shake it off... while she was shaking I was eating snow peas! I will have to try this recipe - though I will not have enough to freeze (the way I am eating them ha ha ha) I should manage to have enough at some point to make a side dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are definitely delicious raw straight off the vine.

    ReplyDelete