Sunday 17 March 2013

Lettuces, Mescalun, Kale

Hyacinths coming into bloom
A sunny morning made for another day in the garden and it's time to plant out some of the seedlings in the potting shed.

First on the agenda is preparing the beds.  The bed that was to be planted with a dozen kale seedlings had a barrow load of soil removed which was added to the Three Sisters bed.  Next I sprinkled on some dolomite lime.  Brassicas need the addition of liming to prevent club root which likes an acid soil.  Two barrow loads of SeaSoil went on next and the bed was spaded over and raked.  Six little Winter Blend and six Lacinato seedlings were pressed into the ground.  I'm not sure what varieties are in the Winter Blend and I'm really supposed to plant this mid-summer as it's a blend specifically for growing in the winter, but I'm giving it a try now anyway.  I know the Lacinato will be a tasty kale as well as being a beautiful addition to the garden as the leaves look like ostrich plumes.
Winter Blend kale seedling
The bed that has the zig zag pea fence was targeted for the lettuces and mescalun.  Again, SeaSoil was added and worked into the soil.  I decided to plant some of the lettuces in between the zigs of the fence.  The growing peas will give some shade protection to the lettuces and keep them sweet longer when the warm weather arrives.  Winter Density, a butterhead/romaine cross, was planted there.  West Coast Market Blend mescalun was planted on the other side - I guess you could say in the zags. This blend contains seeds of curly endive, oakleaf lettuce, escarole, chicory, arugula and chervil.  Since I only planted 6 seedlings this time, I have no way of knowing what my plants are! I'll seed some directly in the ground in a few weeks.  Finally Super Gourmet Salad Blend lettuces were planted at the end of the pea bed.  Again, I will seed more in the ground in a few weeks.  Nearly all my seeds come from West Coast Seeds.
Winter Density lettuce seedling
The tomato seedlings are doing well in the potting shed.  So far, all are surviving - and thriving.  I seeded more Principe Borghese as I don't think I have enough.  I also purchased another package of tomato seeds.  Buckerfields didn't have the Stiletz I was looking for so I decided to try Moneymaker.  This may have been a mistake.  When I got home I looked it up in a gorgeous book on tomatoes I have,  "The Heirloom Tomato" as I was sure I'd seen the name in there.  Yup!  Flavour - Fair and under comments, "a commercial favorite much derided by foodies and home growers as being tough enough to bounce off a wall." Oh dear.  Note to self:  research before you buy!
Sweet Baby Girl tomato seedling
Tomorrow afternoon, weather permitting, I'll get the onion bed ready.  There's just so much to do at this time of the year.  There's always, however, time to stop and check out the flowers.  Oh, and the first Rufous Hummingbird appeared today!
Self-seeded Anenome Blanda



No comments:

Post a Comment