Thursday 28 March 2013

Indispensable Tools

The potting shed houses nearly all of my gardening tools.  Some are used only a few times a year for specific jobs, but I have a small collection of tools I use all the time and could not do without.  Some might surprise you!

Large Tools
Indispensable Large Tools
Every gardener needs a shovel.  I have several, but the long-handled spade is my most useful one.  It's what I use to do those big jobs like adding compost to the beds and turning them over in the spring and fall.  Mine has had the handle replaced several times and the metal spade part is looking its age, but it's still going strong.  The hay fork I use to toss fall cleanup into the compost bin and it's what I use to move the compost from one side of the bin to the other.  This one is at least 30 years old with bent tines,  and like the spade has had the handle replaced a number of times, but it's still a very useful tool.  When the beds have been turned over, the rake makes them smooth.  This is really the only time I use it, but it's still a necessary tool.  Finally, my little pitch fork, while not the most necessary, is the only thing for lifting out perennials for division.  It's probably a good 15 years old, but was an expensive purchase and still looks good.

Small Tools
Narrow Trowel
Of the 5 trowels I own, this narrow trowel is my favorite.  I have larger ones, but this one is the best for digging the small hole needed for transplanting seedlings.  The spongy plastic handle is stained with fir pitch from the many times I've inadvertently left it outside, but the stout aluminum blade has stood up to many a battle with weed roots.
Hand Cultivator
To the hand cultivator shown above, I should also add a hand fork.  The cultivator grabs the roots of larger weeds so I can rip them out, while the fork will dig deep beside dandelion roots so nothing is left behind.  I don't have a good fork at the moment.  Most aren't stout enough to withstand the work I put them to and the last one I bought has tines that splay to the sides.  Not handy at all!  I'll be looking for one with the tines going straight down.
Felco Pruner
My pruner was a Christmas gift from my son.  It's a quality Felco pruner which he got from Lee Valley Tools.  It's extremely strong, sharp and well-made.  The bottom handle swivels to adjust to your grip.  You can get replacement parts for them - such as the springs and blades.  Mine does everything from pruning fruit trees and roses, to cutting the dried roots off garlic.  It pays to have good tools.
Large Knife
A stout knife is what you need to whack the roots and tops from leeks.  It neatly tops and bottoms rhubarb and hacks cornstalks for the compost.  Mine is a bit rusty and has a bite out of the blade, but it's almost the size of a machete and is always ready for action.
Plastic Knife
I have 2 of these little plastic knives in the potting shed.  They are the perfect tool for prying tiny seedlings out so they can be transplanted to larger pots.  They can slide a tiny seed into a better position so it doesn't sprout too near another seed.  Probably the cheapest tool you'll ever have, it's also one I simply can't do without.
Garden Bandit
My number one favorite tool is a Garden Bandit.  This was part of a retirement package from coworkers along with a number of small tools in a plastic trug.  I'd never seen one before, but having used it, I can't imagine gardening without one. Held straight up and down, it can slice out weeds right next to a plant.  Sideways, it cuts a wide swath.  This little gem can weed a bed in 3 minutes flat.  I also have to say that the plastic trug is a favorite, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment