Thursday 7 February 2013

Kale, Gai Lan, Onions

It's now early February and today I planted more seeds.  It's such a lovely day, sunny and a warm February 10 degrees C, that I just couldn't resist.

The Copra Onions and Apache Scallions went out the the potting shed as they're now well up.  Their place has been taken by more Copra Onions and Bandit Leeks as well as Lacinato and a winter blend of kale.  Lettuce and mescalun seedings are also under lights in the house.
Lacinato Kale
And it might be early, but I also put in 2 short rows of Green Pearl Gai Lan, which is a Chinese broccoli.  My husband is a broccoli-hater, but likes gai lan.
Green Pearl Gai Lan
In the next couple of weeks I'll be starting my tomato seeds indoors.  To that end, I have some well-watered dry seeding mix tied up in a plastic bag.

This year, I plan on planting a lot more members of the brassica family.  I didn't have nearly enough kale to satisfy the needs of our household and the family.  Hopefully the extra plants will do the job.  In addition to seeding now, I'll also seed the winter blend kale in mid-summer for winter production.

I know this seems awfully early and I do tend to jump the gun a bit, but winters on the west coast seem to be getting milder.  I'm not worried about starting plants too early.  Cool-hardy seedlings that are in the potting shed are under plastic domes.  Tomatoes need heat to germinate, but once they're up, they can take the cool and will be similarly protected.

The buds on the King Edward Currant are swelling and a viburnum has been in bloom all winter.  Any day now, the Rufous Hummingbirds will be arriving.  They'll join the 2 female Anna's Hummingbirds who have been visiting our feeder all winter long.  It truly feels as if spring is not far away!

No comments:

Post a Comment