Sunday 10 February 2013

Aconite, Snowdrop - and Chicken!

I was out in the garden this morning (February 10th) picking parsley for my latest favorite recipe (to follow!) and couldn't help noticing the signs of spring popping up everywhere.  The earliest in my garden are always winter aconites and snowdrops.  I don't count the viburnum which blooms all winter long!

Galanthus nivalis - the common snowdrop
My favorite snowdrops are the little Galanthus nivalis - the common snowdrop.  There are showier ones, but none in my estimation can beat plain, old common snowdrops.  The best way to get them established in your garden, I've discovered, is to get a friend to give you a clump when they're in bloom.  I've tried many times to get them to grow from bulb without much success.
Eranthis - winter aconite
Another favorite spring flower is the winter aconite.  Like the snowdrop, it's usually in bloom in February.  In my garden, it pushes up through the dead foliage of a Japanese iris (I'm not called The Messy Gardener for nothing!)  The flowers in the picture aren't open because there's no sun today, but the hint of warmth will make them burst into full glory.
A third sign of spring is that the buds on my King Edward flowering currant are starting to open.  These are even earlier than the native currants and always bring the Rufous Hummingbirds.  This year, I won't know if I'm seeing Rufous or Anna's Hummingbirds as the females look so alike.  Today I saw my first male Anna's.  He's unmistakable with his scarlet head, very unlike the Rufous male.

But today I went out to pick parsley.  The flat Italian parsley grows all year long in my garden, so off I went to get some for Chicken with Gremolata Crust.  I count it as a recipe from my garden because it contains the parsley and garlic that I grow.  And it's absolutely delicious!

Chicken with Gremolata Crust

4 whole chicken legs with thigh attached (or any chicken pieces)
2/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1 to 2 large garlic cloves minced
1/2 tsp paprika
pinch cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
salt & freshly ground pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

Combine the breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley, lemon zest, garlic, paprika and cayenne in a wide, shallow dish.

Combine the mayonnaise and mustard in a bowl large enough to hold the chicken.  Add the chicken and toss to coat. (I usually just smear the mayonnaise/mustard on with my hands!)

Then coat in breadcrumb mixture.  Season with salt and pepper.  Bake 50 minutes or until cooked through.

Tonight I'm serving this with rice cooked in chicken broth and cole slaw with chunks of apple and grated carrot.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment