Wednesday 20 May 2015

Corn and Beans

After a couple of years of growing a Three Sisters garden, I decided to disband it.  I've always, however, grown an abbreviated version, planting corn and beans in the same bed.  I also decided that growing some beans in amongst the corn stalks is a good idea as it provides stability for the corn in the wind.

Today I got the bed ready for the corn and beans.  Actually - beds - as I plan on a new framework for the beans.  I have a framework 4' wide and 8' high that I've always grown pole beans on, but I can never reach the beans at the top.  This year, I though I'd try something different.  My husband will make me 3 rectangles 4' wide and 5' tall.  I'll site these with one one the lip of one bed and the other two on each side of the bed next to it.  The 4'x8' rectangle with wire stapled to it will rest on top.  The beans will grow up the sides and spread out over the top and I'll be able to go underneath to pick the beans.  At least that's how the theory goes!
Bamboo poles where beans are planted and corn waiting for its turn
I started by planting the beans - 5 where each 4x5 rectangle will sit.  Each bean was protected with a water bottle collar and given a bamboo pole to clamber up.  5 more beans were planted in the potting shed as "just in case" a bean or two fails to germinate.  The beans planted are the heritage Italian ones given us by a friend.
Next was the corn.  I've already started the corn in the potting shed and this year I managed to outwit the mice.  29 Bodacious seeds germinated.  The bed was prepared by spreading homemade fertilizer in the rows where I planned to plant the corn.  This was scratched into the surface and watered well.  I dug holes to receive the corn and again watered.
Next, the corn was removed from the cells being careful not to disturb the roots and firmed into the ground, leaving a slight depression where water can pool around the plant.  Then I planted 6 Fortex beans in amongst the corn plants which will grow up into the corn and knit the bed together.  I use Fortex for this purpose as the vines aren't as heavy as the Italian heritage ones which broke the cornstalks when I planted them in the corn!
Finally the whole bed was watered well and will receive a covering of Remay cloth for protection.  Once it has gotten over the shock of transplanting, you can practically see the corn grow!  When this bed is truly moist, I'll top it off with a good layer of chopped maple leaves to help keep in the moisture.



No comments:

Post a Comment