Monday 30 September 2013

Cantaloupe!

I had originally been going to post about disappointments in the garden and cantaloupe was going to be the star of the post.  I'd Googled "cantaloupe+harvest" to see how you tell when they were ripe.  Apparently the stem starts to separate from the fruit - much as a cake will start to separate from the pan when it's baked - but I hadn't seen any of that on my cantaloupes.  I did pick one when I started to see a little bit of yellow on the netted skins - but it was only partially ripe and totally tasteless.
Then I noticed that one was starting to rot, so a few days ago, I picked the last 2 cantaloupes and brought them in the house.  I'd been going to chuck them, but decided to cut them open first.  Surprise! Beautiful, deep orange inside - and deliciously sweet!

Okay, maybe I will grow them again next year - with some changes.  I'll start them a bit earlier and coddle them in the potting shed longer.  When I plant them out - again in the compost bin - I'll protect the tender stems with water bottle collars.  The damage that wood bugs did to the stems this year probably set the plants back quite a bit.  And I might grow 3 plants instead of the 2 that I grew this year.

This year's crop was certainly pretty meagre when you consider the time and effort that went into producing 2 small fruits, but they weren't taking up room in the garden, so perhaps they're worth another try.

No comments:

Post a Comment